- well we had the first good snow we've had in about 10 or 12 years. we probly got about 8 or 9 inches of snow friday night. it shut down most everything up the east coast. whitty was enjoying it but i had never seen the snow like this. it was a real hoot to play in. i was having a ball running and jumping in the snow.
- saturday the snow let up and was down to a light snow. most of the roads were clear so i talked whitty into going for a hike with me down at the weir. we had a great time looking at the scenery. many of the trees were bent over with the weight of the snow.
Monday, December 21, 2009
Sunday, December 6, 2009
- we had our first snow of the year saturday. we got an inch or two but most of it was gone by that afternoon. there was a little snow left today when me and whitty went for a walk. it was really cold today. the temps were only up into the mid 30's.
Friday, November 27, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
- whitty took me on another one of his adventures yesterday. we went to bays mountain in kingsport for some geocaching. we had a great time hiking around the lake. there are almost 40 miles of trails for hiking or bike riding. they have a nice nature center with a planeterium inside. several animal habitats are located in the park. i wasn't allowed to visit them so me and whitty kept to the trails.
- right below the dam is a waterfall that runs down the side of the dam and under the road. on the other side of the road there is another waterfall with a wooden bridge beolw it. the stream continues down through the valley and over rocks and boulders. whitty could take a thousand pictures or more if we kept folowing the stream but i didn't want to pull him up the hill that far. i talked him out of going too far.
- as we hiked around the lake we saw where beavers had chewed on several stumps and felled many trees in the area. although we didn't see any beavers it was obvious they were there. they say there are lots of wildlife in the area but other than squirrels we didn't see any. not including the ones in the habitats. it includes deer, otters, wolves, raccoons, bobcats, and several birds.
- it was feeding day for the wolves. they brought in a deer that had been hit along the interstate. whitty didn't stay for that he says he's seen it before on nature shows. many people crowded around the enclosure to watch.
- i hope whitty brings me back soon on some more hikes. we were only on a couple of trails. there are many more trails to explore. whitty says we might go back next month.
Monday, November 9, 2009
- whitty says that i stop at every tree we pass. he wants to keep going and not stop so much. i don't say anything when he's on the computer and checks his e-mail. it's kind of the same thing. i told him that i'm just stopping to check my p-mail. he laughed when i told him that. he thinks it's funny but at least i don't get junk p-mail. hahaha!!!!
Friday, October 30, 2009
- it wasn't very crowded yesterday when me and whitty arrived at the weir. although people did start to show up later while whitty was skating with me running ahead of him. there were only one of two dogs out when we showed up but by the time we left there were fifteen or twenty dogs out. audi-may came by and we got to play together. she's always happy to see me and whitty.
- we stayed till almost dark. it's starting to get dark alot earlier now. were going to have to start coming down sooner in the day so we have time to workout. the leaves are in full color now but they are falling quick. we've had a few days of warm weather so me and whitty wanted to enjoy them while they last. as we left we stopped by the canoe launch just as the sun was going down. it's not far from oceola island. there's a path from the island down stream to it.
Saturday, October 24, 2009
Sunday, October 18, 2009
Monday, October 12, 2009
- whitty took me back to the weir for a run. this is the first time we been back down here since whitty fell on the sidewalk. he did get sore for a couple of days. mostly his shoulder took the brunt of the soreness. he said it wouldn't stop him.
- fall is really starting to set in around here. acorns were falling all around us as we skated. the path was covered in places with acorns. the leaves are starting to turn and in a week or two it'll really be in full color. there were alot squirels around today picking up the nuts to store for winter. the paths were covered in spots where the nuts had fallen. most of them on the walkway were crushed as people walked around.
- whitty wants to go through the mountains. he might take me on the appalachian trail. whitty and his uncle been wanting to go from where it crosses to damascus. it's a long walk but mostly downhill. we'll probly wait till the snakes start to den up. we don't want to mess with any snakes. most aren't poisonous but we rather not take the risk if we can avoid it.
- it's been pretty cool out of the morning but warms up into the seventys during the day. it hasn't frosted yet but it wont be long now. we're thinking about going for a hike at steele creek park later this week. we'll be going around the lake and mabey we'll go on some of the trails while there. they have a few miles of trails up on the hills surrounding the lake. we wont go on all of them but were planning on a few short trails to loosen us up for the longer hikes as it gets cooler.
Friday, October 9, 2009
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
- we had a really nice day out today. i was able to talk whitty into taking me down to the weir for a run. whitty got his skates out and we made about six trips across the river and back. i got to play with a couple of dogs while witty chatted with their pet humans. not very many dogs out today for me to play with though.
- we were doing pretty good untill whitty took a bit of a spill on the sidewalk. he fell as we made our way through a corner at the kiosk near the overlook. he landed on his chest and smacked his chin on the concrete. we were going too fast for him to stop. he laid on the walk for a couple of minutes and shook his head to clear the cobwebs. he took a pretty good shot to the chin and it addled him. he said that it did hurt a little bit. i bet he'll be sore tomorrow.
- a lady whitty had been talking to a short time earlier saw him hit the ground. i think she was ready to call 911 and give them the 411. she was sitting in her car waiting on a friend that was hiking around the island. she offered to get help if whitty was hurt.whitty said that he hurt his pride more than anything. she had to use a cane to walk with but said that she could go get someone.
- whitty said that he was ok but had a bit of a headache. he thanked her for offering to get help. whitty said no blood no foul. although he kept checking to see if he had skent the hide off his chin. the ribs on his right side took a beating when he fell. i don't think he broke anything but he might have some bruises later.
Friday, October 2, 2009
Monday, September 28, 2009
Monday, September 14, 2009
- it's starting to get darker earlier in the evening and cooler at night. so we haven't staying as late as we were. me and whitty don't get as wore out like we do when it's really hot out. soon it'll be time for us to go hiking.
- we wait till the snakes den up before we do that though. i might talk whitty into going on the appalachian trail this fall. till then we'll probably go to steel creek park. we've been on all the trails over there. whitty's uncle usually goes with us on our hikes. the hard part is going from lake level to the top of the ridges. once on top it's too bad but there are a few places with some hills.
- today we went back to the weir again. i got to see some of my buddies while whitty was skating. i always have fun seeing my buddies and making new friends. i made friends with a german shepard today. she was a little bigger than me but she was a little shy. she was only a year and half old. i also met a couple little dogs proably six or seven pounders. i think i made them nervous.
- it started to get dark about 7:30 and we could feel the air starting to get cooler. we figured we might as well head back home. we made one last trip across the bridge and back. then we loaded back into the car and headed home as it was getting dark.
Friday, September 11, 2009
- me and whitty stopped by the weir yesterday and saw a group of school kids running around the island. they looked like they were training for track. we were about to take a curve quite quickly and allmost wiped out a couple of runners in the process. as we started to make the turn two runners came out of the woods from the left. with me running whitty has to swing wide on his skates to make the turn. whitty saw them and cut through the grass to slow down.
- the kids thought they had cut us off but the woods blocked the veiw. no one had good line of sight. so no blood no fowl. as soon as they went by we made the turn just fine. they ask if we were o.k. but nothing happened. we were all right.
- the sun was out when we arrived at the weir but soon after it started to cloud up. it kind of looked like rain clouds. it had cooled off from the day before. me and whitty decided to go ahead skate any way. as we left it did start to sprinkle a bit. shortly after we got home it had quit. there wasn't enough rain to even get the ground wet.
Sunday, September 6, 2009
- me and whitty went to the south holston dam for a run. we went up around by the picnic area then across the dam and circled by the picnic area again. nobody had their dogs out while we were there. several people did stop us to comment on us skating.
- one police officer was there, he stopped and said he didn't think he was coordinated enough to try what we were doing. whitty says you have to be a little crazy to even try it. the police officer just smiled and laughed.
- a lot of people were out on the lake this weekend. we even seen a boat near the dam with flags signaling divers in the area. we didn't see anyone diving but we were just going by. we didn't stop to watch. we saw some people on floats behind some of the boats. the water seemed a little choppy from where we were.
- we left the dam and whitty stopped by the weir to let me get a drink from the river. we did a couple quick passes to the island and back since we stopped any way. whitty took me by the river one last time for a drink. we decided we had enough and headed back home.
Friday, September 4, 2009
- me and whitty did some cross training yesterday at the weir. just as we got started skating who should show up? audi-may was there. we hadn't seen her in quite a while. me and her played while whitty and her humans chatted. i got to see a bunch of buddies i hadn't seen in a while.
- while we skated there was about five deer crossed the path ahead of us. i thought that they wanted to race and i took off running with whitty in tow. if he wasn't holding me back i think i could have passed them.
- we also saw some squirrels and canadian geese while we skated. whitty was able to get pics of them but he keeps missing pics of the deer. one of these days he'll get some pics we hope.
- we also went for a walk around oceola island after whitty got done skating.this time whitty took his camera with him. he wont take it while we skate so he won't break it. we did the lower half of the island but decided that was enough. the sun was starting to set and we were both getting tired so we headed back to the house.
Monday, August 31, 2009
- it's been a while since me and my pet human whitty went for a workout. whitty injured his foot while mowing the yard. it wasn't anything serious but whitty says it was painful. he did limp arround for a few days. even wearing shoes put pressure on it. i let him get away with not taking me out for a while but i got tired of waiting.
- i finally talked him into going skating, well really i just stared at him till he gave in. yesterday he broke to my will and took me to the weir. their were a lot of people down there. we think some were having a family reunion or something like that. some were surprised when me and whitty went rolling by.
- i was hoping to see some of my buddies down there but none showed up. i did get to meet some new buddies and one that wasn't all that friendly. thats ok we just let them go on by and i played with the others.
- i got a lot of petting yesterday. thier were a lot of people that wanted to pet me. some had seen me and whitty down at the weir before and came up to chat with whitty or just to pet me. some were just curious when they saw what we were doing. kids really like to come over to pet me.
Sunday, August 9, 2009
- it was hot today and i made the mistake of talking whitty into taking me down to the weir. fog was rising up off the river by the time we got down there. that made the humidity really high and really muggy. whitty's glasses kept fogging up and he had to keep wiping them so he could see.
- me and whitty spent most of the day inside so we didn't think it was that humid out. it turned out to be a lot different than we thought. we toughed it out and went ahead and did our skating. we still had a good time as usual.
- there were a bunch of dogs at the weir today but most people wouldn't let me play with their dogs. although i did get to play with one dog while whitty stopped and chatted for a while. the dog was a little jumpy but friendly.
- whitty stopped on the bridge and chatted with one guy while he was fishing. he landed a few small trout but they weren't big enough to be keepers. he tossed them back and tried again. small fish kept stealing his bait off his hook. we moved on after a while but passed by him several more times as we were skating. we stayed till it started to get dark then we headed back home.
Thursday, August 6, 2009
- today i was able to talk whitty into taking me out for a run. we decided that we should go to across town to steel creek park. whitty skated while i ran along side. but when we go down hill whitty gets going to fast for me and i wind up working as a brake. i'll have to talk to him about that.
- whitty did walk me down to the lake so i could get a drink after working up a thirst. there were a lot of geese and ducks along the banks. they stayed back a few yards out in the water as we approached. i think that whitty scares them, he's not as cute as i am. HAHAHA!
- there is a path that leads from steel creek that runs over to the volunteer parkway called the wes davis greenway. me and whitty followed it for about a half mile or little bit more give or take. i like it better because its pretty much level but there's nowhere for me to get a drink.
- there is a creek that flows along the path but it's mostly over grown with weeds. whitty did find one spot to get to the creek but we had to jump on to some rocks that were slick and not real easy for me to walk on. i kind of slipped and hurt my back foot while trying to get a drink. i was able to walk it off but it might be sore for a few days.
- i think whitty was a bit worried that i got hurt. i did limp a few times as we made our way back to the car. by the time we got back i was walking better. he worries about me a lot when i might be hurt. i thought he was going to carry me back to the car. i told him if he did i would bite his ear. (just kidding--- but don't tell him that).
Sunday, August 2, 2009
- me and whitty finally got to go down to the weir today. we haven't had much luck lately because it's been raining almost for a solid week. it rained a little this morning but cleared up by this evening.
- today we did some cross training. first we skated back and forth across the weir about six or seven times. then whitty took me for walk around the island. we probably walked a little over a mile around the island.
- there was a lot of dog out for me to play with while we exercised. there was one dog running loose about my size. i might have had a couple of pounds on him. we didn't have any problems with him most of the time. just as we were leaving he tried to start a fight with me but whitty wouldn't have any of that.
- all the other dogs we met up with today were friendly and we played nice together. of course while we played whitty would stand around and chat with their humans. some people wanted to pet me especially the kids but i just wanted to play with the dogs. the kids were nice and gentle while they were petting me. i tried to run after some squirrels but i can't climb trees. i wouldn't know what to do if i caught them but it's the chase i like.
Sunday, July 19, 2009
- i tried to talk whitty into taking me to the south holston dam today. i thought he was going to but as we passed the weir he changed his mind. whitty figured that getting to the water was easier at the weir than at the dam. up there we would have to try to get down to the level of the lake for me to get a drink. where as at the river it's a lot less hassle to get to.
- while we were there we came upon a chuch group and they had about a dozen or more little kids. a bunch of them wanted to come over and meet me. i got quite a bit of petting which i enjoyed. it's a good thing i like kids. they all got a kick out of seeing me pulling whitty on his skates.
- there was one guy that had a couple of retreivers and he had a decoy launcher. he would fire the decoy over half way across the river then send one of the dogs out to retrieve it. they took turns going after it to bring it back.
- i got to play with the other dogs while down there. i even got to play with some little puppies, there was one that would try to jump on me and run in circles. it was hillarius we thought it was really cute the way it carried on. we really had a lot of fun today.
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
- today was awfully humid when me and whitty decided to go down to the weir and do some skating. we thought that it was going to rain earlier but it only sprinkled for a couple of minuets. it didn't even get the ground wet so after it started to clear up we drove down to oceola island.
- we skated across the bridge and back about five or six times. after we got done skating whitty wanted to walk around the island. whitty got his camera out of his car and we hiked around the upper half of the island. we hoped that we might see some deer but no such luck. i enjoyed it because we hadn't been through there in a while.
- i got to see my buddy tucker while whitty was skating. i got whitty to stop so me and tucker could play for a short time. i also got to play with some dogs i hadn't met before. there was a 4 mo. old female bull mastiff i got to play with. whitty liked the color of her coat and i did too it was brendel. she almost looked like there were tiger stripes along her sides.
- we stayed at the weir till it started to get dark. between it getting dark and the fog rolling in it was kind of spooky looking. we could hardly see people standing out in the river fishing. sometimes all you could see was a dark shadow out in fog bank. it really set the mood with the sunset fading in the background.
Monday, July 6, 2009
- sorry but over the holidays whitty missed one of my postings. he skipped july 1st because he said he had to get ready for a family reunion and that he had to be the photographer. i might let him off this time but he better watch it next time i'll put him in the dog house. that threat might mean more if he didn't build me such a nice dog house. ROFL. last tuesday me and whitty went to oceola island at the weir. there was only a few folks out and fewer had their dog with them. just before we left i did get to see my buddy tucker for just a minuet or two.
- today whitty took me back down to the weir again. there was quite a few dogs out running around with their pet humans. i went up to two small weiner dogs while we ran around and one of them took off running and yelping like i bit it's tail. i wouldn't hurt them but i don't think they knew that. every time i turned my back it would try to sneek up on me but he would take off yelping when i turned back around.
- we skated to the far side of the island and took a break to catch our breath. when we started back across me and whitty saw a doe standing in the middle of the trail. we took our time going back across and the deer stood there and watched us for a couple of minutes. the doe gently turned around and went back into the woods. we were able to get pretty close before it walked off.
- there was a bunch of little kids down at the weir playing in the water as we arrived. when they saw me a bunch of those kids wanted to come over and pet me. i guess it's a good thing i like kids. the kids were nice and gental with me so i let them pet me.
- just before we left to go home just who did i get to see. my buddy tucker showed up but he was getting there and we were leaving. mabey i'll get to play longer next time we see each other. oh well thats the way it goes i guess.
Monday, June 29, 2009
- its been awfully hot lately but the temperature dipped from upper 90's to mid 80's. since it had cooled a bit i was able to talk whitty into taking me down to the weir. it was still pretty warm so we waited till after 6:00 before going down. we stayed for about an hour and skated back and forth across the bridge.
- there was a bunch of new buddies out with their pet humans for me to play with today. i met about 7 or 8 other dogs while we exercised. we came across two nice boxers and a little yorkie. the boxers wanted to play but the yorkie was a little timid. after a couple of minutes the yorkie kind of got used to me but was still jumpy.
- just before it starts to get dark a fog rolls on top of the water. the fog comes down from the dam and makes its way along the river. it seems a little eerie at times even when the sun is still up. it really makes for some freaky looking silhouettes along the fog bank.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
- whitty took me over to the any festival again this year. this is the second time we've gone over to the festival. it was an all weekend (concert, camping, and party) all in one. some people just came in for the day some camped all weekend. me and whitty were there for friday and saturday. we didn't stay over night we just came over and stayed awhile with friends that were camping out.
- it was really too hot out in the sun when it was high overhead. it felt a lot better later in the evening. we had a few storms roll through over night and lots of lightning. it stayed humid all weekend with temps in the upper 90's. the camp ground we were at was just across a creek from the bristol motor speedway.i'd say we were a couple hundred feet from the track it's self. they were having drag racing over there this weekend.
- i got to meet some new friends while at the festival. i probably made friends with half a dozen or so this weekend. we all played nice together and having fun running around the camp site.
- me and whitty walked up to where they was having the bands play both days. the speakers were jammin' very loud. we couldn't stand to close to the stage while they played. about all the music was like punk or heavy metal. neither me or whitty could understand what they sang. we like classic rock, country, or bluegrass personally.
- me and whitty mostly went over there for the camping beside the creek than for the concert. we were having a good time till we walked back to whitty's car and saw that someone had backed into the drivers side door on his car.
- whitty started to flip when he seen it. he started asking around if anyone saw it happen. luckily the person responsible came back and whitty got all their info so he can get it fixed. whitty was kind of bummed after that and was about ready to go home.